Saturday, July 23, 2011

Homestyle Meal

I've been out of town for work this past week so have been slacking on the posting!  I did some research on some good couponing opportunities today, but haven't made it out just yet. Have to make sure I have a plan ;-)  So for dinner tonight I wanted to make something since I have been eating out all week...but after searching the kitchen I didn't have many options.  So I decided to make meatloaf with mashed potatoes.  I typically like making meatloaf with turkey but only had ground beef. I typically don't follow a recipe, so check out my recipe below for meatloaf and garlic mashed potatoes!

Meatloaf

1-1.3 lbs Ground Beef or Turkey
1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
1/2 Small Onion chopped fine
1/4 cup Ketchup
1 clove of garlic chopped fine
1 egg
2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 tbsp water
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.

I first saute the onions and garlic in a pan with a little oil (whatever kind you have, I used canola) just until the onion is translucent. Then I set it aside to cool a little. Put the meat in a bowl and on one side of the bowl add the breadcrumbs, ketchup, egg, water, worcestershire, salt and pepper, and the onion and garlic when it cools. I like to mix together everything except the meat first with a fork to get it well combined then mix it with my hands. Then form into loaf and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. (45 minutes if you used 1 lb of meat and an hour if you used 1.3 lbs)

Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

4 large red potatoes peeled
1/2 stick of butter
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper

Put the garlic in aluminum foil with some oil and salt and pepper and add to the oven with the meatloaf.

Cut the potatoes into pieces that are roughly one inch in size and place into pot, fill with cold water covering the potatoes. Boil about 10-15 minutes until cooked through. Once the potatoes are cooked, take out the garlic from the oven, strain and add the potatoes back to the pot.  Add to the pot the butter, chicken broth, milk, cheese, and the garlic and mash.

That's it! Check out a picture below, it was delish!  :)

1 comment: