Sunday, July 17, 2011

Week of Couponing!!

This week has been great for saving money, it started with a groupon that I bought two weeks ago for Fandango, it was buy $12 in fandango money for $2, I bought 2 of them so when we bought the tickets for Harry Potter this week it only cost me tax!  Then Today I had my first successful couponing trips!

For the past few months I have been watching that show on TLC about extreme couponing and wanted to get in on the action!  Last week I bought the sunday paper and clipped a couple coupons, but still none of them were "great" deals.  Since I have not been able to find any great deal on my own, yesterday I started searching online for some blogs.  I shop at Publix down here in Florida so I wanted to see if there were some specifically on savings at Publix and found a ton!  This one in particular is a keeper http://www.iheartpublix.com/ where she actually does all the hard work for you.  They all list where they got the coupons (sunday paper or online or even in-store) so all I had to do is see what products I wanted then follow what they did!  A few of the deals I couldn't do since they had sunday coupons from a few weeks ago that I did not have (another tip I have learned is to hold on to the coupons until they expire even if I don't use them that week!). Check out my receipt, I paid $48.34 and saved $43.96!

Oh!  And I also went to Winn-dixie since they have been having these deals every week where you buy something and you get 3 or 4 things free...this time was my first time doing it but they had buy 2 for $11 Red Baron frozen pizzas and get the following for FREE: Orville Redenbacher Popcorn, 2-Liter bottle of Coke, Winn-dixie bread sticks, and Blue Bell Ice Cream Cups, 12 ct.  I am sure that if I did some more research that I could have gotten more deals at Winn Dixie.  Check out my receipt I did end up buying milk, eggs, and celery and onions that I needed and were not on sale of course, but I paid $31.86 and saved $23.36!

It was a great experience although I forced my boyfriend to come with me and he was embarrassed when I had all of my coupons out ha-ha.

Some tips that I have for beginners like me:
  • Buy the sunday paper and KEEP the coupons every week
  • Pick up any special coupon books that you see in your grocery store (publix has them by the shopping carts with the weekly ads)
  • Check the coupon rules for stores by you, some take competitors coupons, some double coupons under $0.50, some places allow you to buy one thing for half price when it is BOGO (meaning you can use two coupons)
  • Find some good blogs for the places that you shop and check it often, printing out any online coupons, multiples when you can!
  • Make a good list when you go to the store and stick to it!
  • And lastly- don't get discouraged if you don't find deals right away, it took me a couple of weeks!
That's it! Oh and in my search I also stumbled upon this site that has a listing of the prices of tons of essential products all organized by each store (Aldi, Publix, Walmart, Target, and Winn Dixie) and it is updated often! Here is the site http://www.aldispot.com  I'm sure that other people have made similar lists for other regions, I know I'm going to refer to it before I go shopping next :)

Happy Shopping!

2 comments:

  1. I read this right after seeing extreme couponing with Leila on tv, weird... I am too lazy to do this I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that's too funny, there was a lady on there from Auburndale that goes to the Publix I go to! I missed that episode though. I don't think you are too lazy :-P

    ReplyDelete